Based on one
university’s experience with hackers:
4,500 students at well known university had their email passwords stolen over a three week period. Hackers broke into
the school's security system and then managed to avoid detection for three weeks.
said the information they gained provided them access to the contents of all the 4,500 email.
A flaw in
the computer security allowed the hackers to gain access to so many accounts before they were discovered. The intruders
happened to enter the system on one of the computers that was especially vulnerable. The hackers, believed to be
working from outside the country.
software intercepts passwords as users are logging on. The school is now stepping up efforts to install the security software
and has started running more frequent checks to prevent future break-ins from going undetected for so long.”
experience with hacking is not an isolated incident. Not only are large corporations or institutions affected by hacking
but individuals are as well. Now let's learn more about hacking...
The following NNKOL videos will provide more information on Hackers and
Reminder: Hacking should not be taken lightly!
Make sure your firewall system is kept up to date by keeping up with changes in security issues and be prepared to upgrade
or make changes when needed. This will save you a lot of headaches in the future.
Answer the following questions to the best
of your ability.
Refer to the NNKOL videos or the websites in Resources if you need help.
- Visit http://security.getnetwise.org/action/ and list two important rules of thumb when dealing with a potential hacker.
- What is the purpose of encryption?
- Describe how firewalls work to protect your computer.
- Home-based computers are not as vulnerable to a hack attack as a large corporate office.
- When it comes to protecting your computer and the information on it, list the three most important things
that you can do.
6. List one advantage and disadvantage
to installing firewall hardware: